The King’s vegetable garden
The King’s Vegetable Garden was built between 1678 and 1683 by Jean-Baptiste La Quintinie, at the request of the King. Louis XIV, the Sun King, wanted a palace to suit him from the small hunting lodge of his father Louis XIII. The forests and swamps surrounding it were transformed into a garden of unequaled scale.
Classified as a historic monument in 1926, and an integral part of the Versailles site included on the UNESCO world heritage list, the King’s Vegetable Garden has been open to the public since 1991.
Cultural events take place there all year round.